7.27.2009

I have been waiting for some more feedback but I think you may be on your Chicago trip? Possibly? Or just busy. Either way I think, while I wait for the Auge books to arrive and such, I have figured out how I am going to document these bus stop observations. I am going to attempt to note where each person is sitting and what they are doing while they wait for the bus and then note where they sit on the bus and what they do on the bus as well. Distinguishing whether someone preoccupies themselves with a news paper or their cell phone, whether they sit in a seat open to the bus and strangers or closed off and private, noting where they create boundaries and territories for themselves, ect. More on that to come. I think it will develop as I go through the process. Any suggestions to how I should go about these observations are VERY welcome. 
Cheers

1 comment:

  1. Jessica,

    I will be in Chicago through Sat. Until then, I will try to leave some comments sometime tomorrow evening, or Thursday afternoon but that will depend on what is happening in the city. I have been keeping up to date with your posts, but have not gotten a large enough block of time to devote to responding to them.

    Upon my return you will get more...

    As far as your observation studies: what you are talking about sounds fine as it pertains to the individual's establishment of space (what do they take ownership of?). Be careful that it does not veer off course into a sociological experiment. Keep it focused upon dwelling, inhabiting, and the culture of place. Keep in mind that the public bus stop is a component of those things and will not give you a good cross section through them - it will illuminate a small fragment.

    You do have things under control. Your plan is a sound one. But for more depth to my commentary you will have to wait.

    Again more later...

    JE

    ReplyDelete