7.01.2009

Note To Self

OK, I am only posting this so I remember to talk about it tomorrow. I just can't seem to stop thinking! My mind gets going like this and there is no stopping it... I was getting ready for bed and I was thinking about time, gradation, variables.. not being able to control all variables so then gradating all variables [as much as I could] per each case study.. and then I was thinking about time. Originally I had thought that the about of time intended to live in a space would be the determining factor, but if that is true I need to think about time, how it is defined and understood, how it is perceived. Well in one of the books I am reading, Atlas of Novel Tectonics, they talk about time. . and I can't quite remember how they say explain it so I don't want to mess it up now BUT tomorrow I will go into it further. 


2 comments:

  1. Jessica,

    I have been getting caught up with stuff around camus and have only just now gotten to your last posts. It seems that you are moving in good directions, and being very self-motivated. My fear is that you may be diving too deep. A single quarter is not going to be enough to study the phenominon of tent cities to the extent that you are trying - I think focus is very necessary (possible thesis development for grad school????).

    Maybe figure out one facet of the tent city that you can investigate relative to design? For instance looking at social/political/cultural reasons for the tent city - do these reasons have implications for design. Or maybe study it as a type of urbanism, and address programmatic compositions of the environment/public vs. private/gathering space. Maybe it becomes a comparative juxtoposition between city and tent city relative to culture and space. Maybe a study in environmental performance of the temporary structure.

    Lot of possibilities, but right now it seems like you are trying to do al of them - which would be great for grad school... seriously think about it. For this quarter though - I'd recommend refining your ideas to one single avenue, and become a complete expert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... or relating to your last post:

    Your project could be completely about designing as a response to the temporal. What manifestations might time have in the permanent versus the temporary? Does "permanent" exist? Does movement affect permanence?

    Could be very beautiful!

    I was also reading some article about "5-star tent resorts." where people pay exorbitant amounts of money to stay in a tent with expensive furnishings and jacuzzis and chefs etc. Although conceptually this seems stupid to me - it may provide a very good juxtaposition to the tent city and different cultural responses to "camp" and the temporary.

    ReplyDelete