7.22.2009

Update

As a note I must approve your comments before they post. Once they appear I have read them, at least once, and have approved them. If they don't show up right away it is because I have been too busy to get online and check for new comments. Sorry for any delay or confusion. 

I am very bummed about the trip. Depending on what the mechanic says about my car it may just be postponed. If I have a car functioning I will take an extended trip in the end of August. Unfortunately this will be the tail end of my research so I may need to find something to compensate for now toward the project. Luckily for me I am a young ignorant student yet, and if I can take a trip on my way back to Cincinnati it can still be recorded and such, it will simply be part of my own perspective and not a driving force for the body of this work.

I am very open to suggestions as to what this compensation might be. 

I ordered a few books today, they should arrive Monday or Tuesday. I ordered a book I mentioned two weeks ago called Shelter by L. Kahn which will be a good reference for different kinds of shelters all over the world. I also got Non-Places as you suggested by Auge as well as The Poetics of Space just for my personal curiosity. 

I plan on spending a good part of my morning/afternoon tomorrow reading and responding to your comments as well as going through Heidegger one more time to bring my own responses to a more focused and concrete point. I realize that I tend to look at everything around the path as much as the path itself, which is a hindrance as much as it is a strength, but hopefully tomorrow I will be able to bring things back into a direction of sorts. 

One thing I think I should mention is that I think my research has left tent cities to some extent. I still find them important and to some extent pertinent, but I also think they might be flimsy as environments. The focus, I think, should be the idea of dwelling, living, and human nature/needs/ect and the environments by which those aspects exist, or by which we create them/allow them perhaps(?), should be second. My initial reaction to the tent cities was that their nature as communities and structures would be a strong medium in which to see these characteristics of dwelling, but now I am sort of on the fence. However I also think that the formality of these things should not matter, that if this is something truly natural to us I should find it everywhere.. perhaps in different quantities? or qualities rather.. but I shouldn't need to seek it out.

Then, I think of Josef Albers and realize that certain things seem more clear in contrast with something else. . . 

There is very little about my mind that is decisive. Questions I have to no end, but making conclusions is something I tend to struggle with. Things always seem far more complex than anyone else is willing to admit. This is what appeals to me about the tangents, they are all part of the truth of something.. they are all forces that act upon it which, in my mind, can not be ignored if you wish to see something for what it is. In the end, if I do come to a conclusion that I am very strong about, it is usual one of a very genuine and thought out nature. . the problem is getting that far before the timer goes off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment