8.05.2009

Auge, Part One

Alright, so a few things quickly before I crash because it is really late. 

#1 I see a lot of Auge in the research you are doing. I still agree and disagree to a certain extent, but it is interesting.

#2 Auge is a lot easier to get through then Heidegger, which I am SO thankful for

#3 I am sort of in the perfect city to be reading such ideas. While I realize most cities would serve as a great centre for these thoughts, park city is ironically different than most. Park city has a very low year round population [7-8,000 people].. but it still has these remnants of an old ghost town feel, a minors town, and, of course, a mountain town. To some extent, despite its growth boom of the last twenty years, it has held its identity. HOWEVER, in the winter time this city becomes an international hub. People from all over the world quadruple the population of the season residence, not to mention the tourist that only stay for a few days to a week. The implications of this are starting to dramatically effect the landscape and physical identity of this otherwise small town. They are opening a Waldorf Astoria here in Park City in the next month. . and the big resorts have only started establishing themselves dramatically since the olympics were held here in 2002. The other interesting part, for my personal perspective, is that I have been in this town since it was comprised of a single grocery store and mostly dirt roads.. I have home videos and arial pictures shot from hot air balloons of how this city was in the late eighties, right when they build the first golf course and just began their departure of becoming a ski town. 

I have only read the Introduction [to the second edition] and the preface but I will be reading a lot more in the morning and posting some of my notes from reading today. There is a lot already scribbled in this book and in my notebook. I have a few opinions on what I have been reading but I would prefer to wait and fully consider and write about them tomorrow after I have read a bit more. 

Until tomorrow, Jessica. 


1 comment:

  1. Jessica, I didn't even see this post before, while I was commenting on your latter one. Either way, I'd like to withold any response until you get a little more into Auge. Good luck.

    JE

    ReplyDelete